Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Expedited Reinstatement

If you have already completed your Trial Work Period and your Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE), you can still get SSDI benefits if your income drops below the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level. This method of getting SSDI benefits is called Expedited Reinstatement.

Expedited Reinstatement allows former SSDI beneficiaries whose benefits ended within the 5 previous years to get up to 6 months of temporary SSDI cash benefits if their income drops below the SGA level. As with the EPE, during your period of Expedited Reinstatement, you can deduct Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWEs) and employer subsidies from your gross monthly earnings to help you qualify for SSDI benefits.

During the 6 months you are on temporary benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will conduct a medical review to figure out whether or not you still meet SSA disability requirements. If Social Security decides that you are still disabled, you will continue to get benefits without having to reapply for SSDI. If they decide that you are no longer disabled, your SSDI benefits will stop.

You can request Expedited Reinstatement any time within 5 years after your benefit or benefits eligibility ended. If you have questions about Expedited Reinstatement, Extended Periods of Eligibility, or any other Social Security work incentives, talk to a benefits planner.

Report your income carefully

If you go back to work or if your income changes for any other reason, be sure to report your change in earnings to Social Security and your local county social services agency right away. If you don’t, you risk getting an overpayment. If you get an overpayment, you will likely be held responsible for repaying those benefits to Social Security and any other agencies that overpaid you.

When reporting wage changes to Social Security, make sure you report all of your gross income. Your Social Security claims representative will tell you when you need to report. You should mail copies of your pay stubs to Social Security or drop them off at your local Social Security office and get a receipt. If you are self-employed, you can use your most recent IRS tax return to report your earnings.

Learn more