Getting Help with Your Benefits
Find experts who can answer your questions about benefits, including how to apply, how getting a job can impact your benefits, and what you need to do to stay on benefits.
The offices you should contact depend on your situation and the benefits you get.
California State Disability Insurance (SDI)
- Call the California Employment Development Department (EDD) at 1-800-480-3287.
Social Security Disability Benefits
- Call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) or go to your local Social Security office.
To understand how work affects SSI and SSDI, contact:
- Disability Rights California at 1-800-776-5746.
- The Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY).
- A Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) counselor.
- Call or visit your local county social services agency.
- Call Disability Rights California at 1-800-776-5746.
- Call the Health Consumer Alliance at 1-888-804-3536.
- Call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 or 1-877-486-2048 (TTY).
- Call the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) at 1-800-434-0222.
- Call or visit the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) office near you.
- Contact your local America's Job Center of California (AJCC) (One-Stop).
Getting Help with Other Types of Benefits
- Call or visit your local county In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) office for help with IHSS.
- For state benefits like the Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI), CalWORKs, and CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps), contact your local county social services agency.
- For housing benefits like Section 8 or public housing, contact public housing authorities (PHAs).
- For other disability-related questions, benefits, or peer support, contact an Independent Living Center.