Workplace Personal Assistance


Learn More About Workplace Personal Assistance

DB101’s In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) article has complete details about how IHSS works.

The California Department of Social Services All County Letter No. 04-43 (ACL 04-43) describes how IHSS can be used at your work.

The Institute for Community Inclusion has an excellent policy brief about The Applicability of the ADA to Personal Assistance Services in the Workplace.

The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a free service that supports people with disabilities who want to work by giving ideas for reasonable accommodations; helping people with their questions about self-employment; and providing technical assistance about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other laws.

In California, the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) works to support the employment of people with disabilities. It offers services like vocational rehabilitation, job training, skills training, and job placement.

Getting Help with Your Benefits

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), or Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB), and you're looking for a job, a trained Benefits Planner can help you avoid problems with your job plan. If you need help or have questions about your situation, you can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY), Monday through Friday.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Community-Based Organizations

Various community-based organizations guide people through state, federal, public, and private health and income programs. Some organizations may work with specific populations while others work with people with any type of disability. Here are a few examples

Goodwill Industries services range from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some Goodwill Industries centers also do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. Find locations at, or by calling (voice) 1-800-466-3945.

The California Foundation for Independent Living Centers lists centers serving people with all disabilities. Many of these centers do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. If they don't offer benefits planning themselves, Independent Living Centers can refer you to local benefits planners. Find the list of independent living centers at, or by calling (voice) 1-916-325-1690 or (TTY) 1-916-325-1695.

The California Department of Public Health's Office of AIDS lists 1,300 organizations offering HIV/AIDS services throughout California. Some of these organizations provide case management, benefits planning, and benefits counseling services that can include help with public and private benefits programs. You can search the list online, or call (voice) 1-800-367-AIDS (2437) or (TTY) 1-888-225-AIDS (2437).

Disability Rights California provides representation for consumers of public programs who are disabled. Website publications include topics on health care, benefit programs, and In-Home Supportive Services.

Learn more