Job Supports and Accommodations


Learn More About Job Supports and Accommodations

The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) has information for jobseekers, employees, and employers, including a list of common accommodations and an accommodation database.

Boston University’s Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation has a website on reasonable accommodations and disability disclosure for people with psychiatric disabilities.

Learn More About Assistive Technology

You can try out different Assistive Technology (AT) equipment at a local America's Job Center of California (AJCC) (One-Stop) or through device lending libraries.

Ability Tools, formerly known as the California Assistive Technology Network (AT Network), helps Californians with disabilities learn about, find, and acquire assistive technology.

The California Assistive Technology Reuse Coalition helps connect AT users with gently used equipment.

The Disability Business and Technical Assistance Center (DBTAC) has information on assistive technology in the workplace.

Infinite Potential Through Assistive Technology (Infinitec) has informational articles on how to get and use Assistive Technology devices. They have detailed information on specific types of devices to use at home, work, and everything between.

Getting Help with Your Benefits

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), or Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB), and you're looking for a job, a trained Benefits Planner can help you avoid problems with your job plan. If you need help or have questions about your situation, you can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY), Monday through Friday.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Community-Based Organizations

Various community-based organizations guide people through state, federal, public, and private health and income programs. Some organizations may work with specific populations while others work with people with any type of disability. Here are a few examples

Goodwill Industries services range from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some Goodwill Industries centers also do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. Find locations at, or by calling (voice) 1-800-466-3945.

The California Foundation for Independent Living Centers lists centers serving people with all disabilities. Many of these centers do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. If they don't offer benefits planning themselves, Independent Living Centers can refer you to local benefits planners. Find the list of independent living centers at, or by calling (voice) 1-916-325-1690 or (TTY) 1-916-325-1695.

The California Department of Public Health's Office of AIDS lists 1,300 organizations offering HIV/AIDS services throughout California. Some of these organizations provide case management, benefits planning, and benefits counseling services that can include help with public and private benefits programs. You can search the list online, or call (voice) 1-800-367-AIDS (2437) or (TTY) 1-888-225-AIDS (2437).

Disability Rights California provides representation for consumers of public programs who are disabled. Website publications include topics on health care, benefit programs, and In-Home Supportive Services.

Find a Job

In California, the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) can help you apply, prepare for, and find a job.

America's Job Centers of California can help you find a job and plan for your career. Find your local America's Job Center of California (AJCC) (One-Stop).

CalJOBS is an online service offered by the California Employment Development Department (EDD). It’s an excellent place to look for job openings and to post your resume.

The U.S. Department of Labor has a website called My Skills, My Future that helps job seekers match their skills with new careers and find out what training is needed to move from one job to another.

DOR's Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) offers consultation and referrals for supported employment services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Rehabilitation Counselors for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (RCDs) are located in most DOR offices statewide.

People with visual impairments can get vocational rehabilitation services from DOR's Blind Field Services (BFS). For more information, call 916-558-5480, or visit BFS staff in DOR offices statewide.

Learn more