Learn More

California’s Employment Development Department (EDD) provides extensive resources that can help you find a job and plan for your career. Find a local America's Job Center of California (AJCC) (One-Stop).

Workers at the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) can help you apply, prepare for, and find a job.

DOR also has specific service programs for people who are blind and visually impaired and people who are deaf or hard of hearing. DOR provides employment services for people with these disabilities.

The World Institute on Disability’s E3 Economic Empowerment Program has information on asset building for people with disabilities that is available as a downloadable book, EQUITY: Asset Building for People with Disabilities, a Guide to Financial Empowerment.

The U.S. Department of Justice has a comprehensive site on ADA resources.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has a fact sheet on employment rights of individuals with disabilities and a page for youth about employment discrimination.

The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) offers specific information about enforcing your rights under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).

Getting Help with your Benefits

To find an expert who can provide help with your benefits, visit the DB101 Find an Expert page. For questions about work and your Social Security benefits, you can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 / 1-866-833-2967 (TTY/TDD).

Community Based Organizations

Various community-based organizations provide staff to work with people concerning a range of options on state, federal, public, and private health and income programs. Counseling about benefits, as a community service, is an emerging field of expertise with different levels of services available. Some organizations may work with specific populations while others work with individuals with any type of disability.

Goodwill Industries services range from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some of these centers conduct Benefits Planning Assistance and Outreach for Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries related to work activity.

Goodwill IndustriesFind locations at www.Goodwill.org, or by calling (voice) 1-800-466-3945.

California Foundation for Independent Living Centers logoThe California Foundation for Independent Living Centers lists centers serving individuals with all disabilities. Many of these centers conduct Benefits Planning Assistance and Outreach for Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries related to work activity. Most independent living centers can refer callers to local benefit program information if they do not have these services.

Find the list of independent living centers at www.CFILC.org, or by calling (voice) 1-916-325-1690 or (TTY) 1-916-325-1695.

The California Department of Public Health's Office of AIDS lists 1,300 organizations providing HIV/AIDS services throughout California. Some of these organizations offer case management, benefits planning, and benefits counseling services that can include assistance with public and private benefits programs. You can search the list online, or call (voice) 1-800-367-AIDS (2437) or (TTY) 1-888-225-AIDS (2437).

Disability Rights California provides representation for consumers of public programs who are disabled. Website publications include topics on health care, benefit programs, and In-Home Supportive Services.