In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)


In-Home Supportive Services Resources

Call or visit your county In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) office to complete an IHSS application. Once IHSS gets your application, a caseworker will conduct a needs assessment to figure out the services and number of hours IHSS may provide to assist you.

The California Department of Social Services provides a variety of resources and information on IHSS, including many fact sheets and videos.

Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) is a system for recording a provider's hours and services. The California Department of Social Services has EVV training materials, webcasts and webinars.

The California Association for Public Authorities for IHSS helps consumers gain access to service providers in their local area.

The California Advocates for Nursing Reform provide a fact sheet and local phone numbers for information on IHSS.

Disability Rights California has articles on various topics related to IHSS.

Learn more about Medi-Cal

To learn more about Medi-Cal:

The Health Consumer Alliance website provides publications on many aspects of Medi-Cal.

The National Immigration Law Center has a section on immigrants and public benefits, including health care.

Getting Help with Your Benefits

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), or Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB), and you're looking for a job, a trained Benefits Planner can help you avoid problems with your job plan. If you need help or have questions about your situation, you can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY), Monday through Friday.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Community-Based Organizations

Various community-based organizations guide people through state, federal, public, and private health and income programs. Some organizations may work with specific populations while others work with people with any type of disability. Here are a few examples

Goodwill Industries services range from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some Goodwill Industries centers also do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. Find locations at, or by calling (voice) 1-800-466-3945.

The California Foundation for Independent Living Centers lists centers serving people with all disabilities. Many of these centers do benefits planning for people who get SSI, SSDI, and Medicare. If they don't offer benefits planning themselves, Independent Living Centers can refer you to local benefits planners. Find the list of independent living centers at, or by calling (voice) 1-916-325-1690 or (TTY) 1-916-325-1695.

The California Department of Public Health's Office of AIDS lists 1,300 organizations offering HIV/AIDS services throughout California. Some of these organizations provide case management, benefits planning, and benefits counseling services that can include help with public and private benefits programs. You can search the list online, or call (voice) 1-800-367-AIDS (2437) or (TTY) 1-888-225-AIDS (2437).

Disability Rights California provides representation for consumers of public programs who are disabled. Website publications include topics on health care, benefit programs, and In-Home Supportive Services.

Learn more