CalWORKs Resources

The California Department of Social Services provides information about programs in CalWORKs such as: child support, Welfare-to-Work, and child care.

Los Angeles County and Kern County provide comprehensive descriptions of the CalWORKs program.

The People's Guide (PDF) is a comprehensive source of CalWORKs information.

Legal Services of Northern California has a section with CalWORKs self-help resources.

The CalWORKs program is governed by the Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 11000 et. seq. The California Department of Social Services interprets these laws through All County Letters and its Manual of Policy and Procedures, Divisions 40-45, and 80-82.

Health Care for Families

Access for Infants and MothersThe Access for Infants and Mothers program provides low cost health insurance coverage to uninsured, low income pregnant women and their infants. AIM is part of California's effort to increase health coverage of pregnant women and their infants. The average subscriber is a married woman living in a household with a family income between 200-300% of the Federal Poverty Level. A pregnant woman and her infant(s) enrolled in AIM receive their care from one of nine health plans participating in the program. The pregnant woman participates in the cost of her health care services through a low cost subscriber contribution. The State of California supplements the subscriber contribution to cover the full cost of care. AIM is funded from tobacco tax funds. For an application call toll free: 1-800-433-2611.

Getting Help with your Benefits

To find an expert who can provide help with your benefits, visit the DB101 Find an Expert page. For questions about work and your Social Security benefits, you can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 / 1-866-833-2967 (TTY/TDD).

Community Based Organizations

Various community-based organizations provide staff to work with people concerning a range of options on state, federal, public, and private health and income programs. Counseling about benefits, as a community service, is an emerging field of expertise with different levels of services available. Some organizations may work with specific populations while others work with individuals with any type of disability.

Goodwill Industries services range from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some of these centers conduct Benefits Planning Assistance and Outreach for Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries related to work activity.

Goodwill IndustriesFind locations at, or by calling (voice) 1-800-466-3945.

California Foundation for Independent Living Centers logoThe California Foundation for Independent Living Centers lists centers serving individuals with all disabilities. Many of these centers conduct Benefits Planning Assistance and Outreach for Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries related to work activity. Most independent living centers can refer callers to local benefit program information if they do not have these services.

Find the list of independent living centers at, or by calling (voice) 1-916-325-1690 or (TTY) 1-916-325-1695.

The California Department of Public Health's Office of AIDS lists 1,300 organizations providing HIV/AIDS services throughout California. Some of these organizations offer case management, benefits planning, and benefits counseling services that can include assistance with public and private benefits programs. You can search the list online, or call (voice) 1-800-367-AIDS (2437) or (TTY) 1-888-225-AIDS (2437).

Disability Rights California provides representation for consumers of public programs who are disabled. Website publications include topics on health care, benefit programs, and In-Home Supportive Services.