Getting Past the Myths

Myth 5: I Can't Get Help Finding Work

It can be difficult looking for and finding a job if you think you have to do it all on your own. Actually, there are several excellent resources to help you in the state of California, and also nationally. These organizations can help you prepare for your job search, can help you find a job right for you, and can give you advice and support services you need to keep your job.

America's Job Centers of California

America's Job Centers of California (AJCCs), formerly known as One-Stops, offer the tools, resources, and services you need for your employment, training, and other work related needs.There are over 200 centers around the state of California with knowledgeable staff to help you. Almost all services are provided for free.

AJCCs must provide assistace and accomodations for persons with disabilties, including:

Learn more about AJCCs or find a local America's Job Center of California (AJCC) (One-Stop).

The Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)

DOR can help you prepare for, find, and keep a job. To be eligible for DOR, you must have a physical or mental disability that makes it difficult for you to prepare for, get, or keep work. If you are eligible for SSI or SSDI based on your disability, and you are not at retirement age, you are eligible for DOR services. The services can be different depending on the individual. DOR will work with you to determine which services you will need and a DOR counselor will develop a plan with you to help you reach your work goals. DOR is an example of one Employment Network in which you can use your Ticket to Work. Click here for more information on DOR eligibility and application process.

Ticket to Work

The Ticket to Work program is designed to help people with disabilities find and keep work. If you are between 18 and 64 years old, and are getting SSI and/or SSDI, you can use a Ticket to Work from the Social Security Administration. With this program, you can get employment-related services and supports such as training, job placement, job coaching, and vocational assessments from an Employment Network. For more information on this program, click here.

Job Accommodation Network (JAN)

JAN, part of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, provides free consulting services to increase employment for people with disabilities by: 1) providing solutions for individualized worksite accommodations, 2) providing technical assistance regarding the ADA and other disability related legislation, and 3) educating callers about self-employment options. JAN also has one of the best websites nationally with information on reasonable accommodations. Click here for more information on JAN services.

Social Security Work Site

The SSA Work Site is a Social Security website with information on work, your benefits, and the Ticket to Work program. Click here to visit the SSA Work Site.

Guide for People with Disabilities Seeking Employment

This guide explains how the Americans with Disabilities Act applies to you when you are looking for a job. Click here to read more about this.

Goodwill Industries

Goodwill Industries provides services from personal evaluation and office skills training to career counseling, childcare, and transportation. Some of these centers also provide benefits planning services related to employment if you get Social Security benefits. To find locations, click here or call 1-800-466-3945.

California Independent Living Centers

Your local Independent Living Center might know of local resources to help you find a job. They can also provide information on reasonable accommodations, assistive technology, benefits, and many other types of disability-related information.

Learn more